Taking the Classroom Overseas – Experiential Learning (Learning by Doing)
By developing students awareness of the world we hope that we will help to lift their aspirations and enhance their lives.
A well respected educator, Kurt Hahn, once said:
Kurt Hahn (1886 – 1974) was an inspirational educator and a key figure in the development of experiential education. He was the founder of well known youth organisations such as Outward Bound and the Duke of Edinburgh's Award. Hahn believed that Students could only really understand life by experiencing it in many exciting and challenging ways. By testing themselves students would be able to develop their courage, generosity, imagination, principles and resolution.
"There is more to us than we know. If we can be made to see it, perhaps for the rest of our lives we will be unwilling to settle for less"
Student Horizons believes that a mixture of curriculum based and non curriculum based learning programmes overseas, provides a critical pillar in a students education.These can range from sports, educational and music tours.
Student Horizons Philosophy – Challenge. Discover. Achieve.
These 3 words describe the guiding principles behind all that we do here at Student Horizons. As specialists in organising international sport, music and educational tours for students in Australia and New Zealand, our goal is to provide students with an unforgettable overseas experience that is safe, well coordinated and beneficial for their personal growth.
By challenging students to discover their strengths, our desire is to see them achieve greater self awareness and confidence.
At Student Horizons our overseas Tours and Expeditions aim to:
- Broaden students' horizons
- Provide opportunities for students to learn from the experiences of others around the world
- Provide opportunities for meaningful service
- Provide opportunities for adventure and challenge
- Develop student skills so they can move on with confidence
- Provide opportunities for personal and social development
- Increase students understanding of different perspectives and different cultures
- Promote appreciation of our heritage on a global level
- Positively influence the next generation of Australians and New Zealanders by developing their awareness of the wider world and helping them define their role within it